“The Boys and Girls Club of the Los Angeles Harbor was founded in 1937 as the Need for Boys Club by the Civitan Club of San Pedro. Within two years time, the club, designed to assist boys living on the streets, was such a success that members had to be turned away due to a lack of facility space to meet demand.
By 1939, the re-titled Boys Club of San Pedro filed the Articles of Incorporation, and became the first nationally-affiliated Boys Club west of the Mississippi River, and by 1941 was recognized with contributing to a 30% drop in juvenile delinquency rates in the community.
The Boys Club of San Pedro changed its name to the Boys and Girls Club of San Pedro in 1994 to reflect the growing number of girls it counted among its ranks, and changed its name again in 2004 to the Boys and Girls Club of the Los Angeles Harbor following a merger with the Wilmington Boys and Girls Club.
The club moved to its current location at 1200 S Cabrillo Ave in San Pedro in 1965, and has since expanded to operate at this facility and 5 additional club locations, 10 school sites, and the Daniels Field Recreation Center.” – 15th District Councilman Joe Buscaino